Me, cycling around Taiwan

I rented a bike in Taipei from a father and son team with a crazy dog


 I found some great cycle trails


Some lonely roads


 And some scary tunnels


 I stumbled upon festivals


 Chilled out on beaches


 And got some picture perfect views


I drank litres and litres of free water from police stations around the country


But my brain constantly needed freezing and the 7-11 was happy to help


I saw sunsets and sunrises from both coasts


Climbed lots of hills


And sweated it out at the tops


I saw industry


Artistry


Small fishing villages


And beautiful unspoiled coast lines


I survived a super typhoon


And broke the law a few times (inadvertently and on purpose)


I cycled the infamous Suhua highway


And thought the truck drivers were alright


I stayed in a church, with a couchsurfer, a guy from the bike touring website Warm Showers, above a surf shop, at some hot springs and even with a lovely Taiwanese lady I met at a 7-11, in exchange for help with an English class


I ate some seriously tasty food, was blown away by the Taiwanese generosity and met some amazing people I hope to see again someday


And I made it - a complete circle of the Taiwanese island by bicycle. My odometer read 1370km when I gave the bike back but the feeling of accomplishment was slightly overshadowed by the fact I wouldn't be cycling anymore. It was an unbelievable trip and now I know a big bicycle tour is something I want to try.


Comments

Popular Posts